Lock Change & Replacement Services
Get your locks replaced with Balport’s lock change services. We have years of experience in the industry and offer 24/7 emergency service.
Old locks should be replaced. They wear down, leaving you vulnerable to intruders.
Or you may be looking to upgrade your old locks to high-security or hands-free digital locks. That’s where we come in.
Call us to inspect your locks and replace anything that shows a vulnerability.
Reasons to Change a Lock
- Security concerns: It’s time to change the locks if you’ve lost your keys, had a break-in, or suspect someone might have a copy of your key
- Wear and tear: Normal wear over the years makes a lock less effective and easier to pick. Replace your lock before it fails, locking you out of your home or business.
- Upgrading your security: A 20-year-old lock, by its very design, is less secure than a new lock. Also, you may want to upgrade with features like deadbolts, smart locks, or keyless entry systems.
- Moving into a new home: You never know who might have a copy of the old keys. A neighbor? A former significant other? Changing the locks ensures that only you and your family have access to your new home.
- New tenants: If you own rental property, it’s standard practice to change locks or to rekey existing locks before the new tenant moves in.
Rekeying vs Lock Changing
Rekeying reconfigures the tumblers of a lock to accept a new key. It’s faster than changing a lock, cheaper, and just as secure.
Why, then, would you consider replacing a lock, and not just rekeying it?
- The old lock may be damaged beyond repair.
- You may want to upgrade to a high-security or digital lock.
- You may want to change the style of your lock.
Why Hire Balport as Your Locksmith?
Never take shortcuts with the security of your home or business.
- Balport has been in business since 1984 and has years of experience in the industry.
- All Balport technicians are licensed and certified.
- We offer 24/7 emergency service. You never know when you might need the locks changed.
- We offer competitive pricing. Prices that are too low or too high are red flags.
Types of Locks We Install
- Deadbolts are typically installed on the exterior doors of homes and office buildings. They’re opened by a key on the outside and a thumb turn on the inside. They require more force to break through than a standard latch or lock.
- Mortise locks are built into the door itself. They’re often installed in older buildings and work similar to a deadbolt. Installation is more complex than a deadbolt, with no added security benefit.
- Keyless entry systems are ideal for businesses that need access control and monitoring. They can be opened using a code, card, or other electronic means.
- Smart locks can be operated from a smartphone app or a keypad; some offer programmable access.
- Biometric locks use fingerprints or facial recognition to unlock the door.
- Knob and lever handle locks are usually not sufficient for exterior doors. They’re vulnerable to forced entry, and are therefore reserved for closets, bathrooms, executive offices, etc.
- Cam locks are used on mailboxes and cabinets. They provide basic protection but are vulnerable to picking.
Frequently Aske Questions about Lock Replacement
How long does it take to change a lock?
We can change a lock in as little as 15 minutes, depending on the lock type and complexity.
Will a lock change service damage my door?
A locksmith uses specialized tools and techniques to ensure the lock change service does not damage the door or frame. However, if the door is already damaged or warped, it may need to be repaired or replaced.
Which is better: changing a lock or rekeying?
It depends on the situation. If you need a new key or want to switch out all your locks, rekeying is usually faster and more cost-effective. However, if you are looking to upgrade your security with features like deadbolts, hands-free digital locks, or keyless entry systems, then it may be best to replace the lock.
When should I change the locks on my house?
We recommend changing the locks when you move into a new house, or if you’ve experienced a security breach or lost or misplaced your keys. Changing locks every few years is also an excellent preventive measure against break-ins.